Two weeks ago, I was talking to my good friend Cindy and we decided that for our sanity we needed to get out and do a hike in Zion. We left Saturday morning with our husbands and their kids, and when we got to Zion it was in the low sixties (we expected it to be nice, but not this nice). I could have cried it was so beautiful, and the perfect weather to do a hike. We did Angel's Landing and went up the chains as far as we could go until we hit pure snow and ice. On the way down, there were even waterfalls on the trail from the snow melting… so amazing. When we got back down to the parking lot we fired up the white gas oven and had brats with sauteed onions. Such a perfect day, and I got my sanity back for the coming week.
Another friend of ours, Steve, has parents that own a home in Rockville, just outside of Zion (the Virgin River runs through their freaking back yard). Last weekend we went there for the night along with Joe's brother. We went to dinner at Oscar's (fish tacos there are to die for), watched movies, talked about randomness, and went night-hiking. We went on our hike around 9:00, so it was pitch dark. It was a really cloudy night, and the clouds were all really low, but you could still see the silhouettes of the huge walls of Zion. Though we were afraid we were going to get eaten by a mountain lion (are there even mountain lions up there? It is freaky in Zion so quiet and dark!), it was so great to get out and have fun with family and friends. The next morning, we woke up to Zion covered in snow. We had never seen Zion like this, because we usually only plan trips when we know it will be nice. It was so amazing to see it in a new light.
So, in short, I hate winter, but I am glad we live so close to somewhere this amazing. I know I say how much I love Zion in every post during the summer months, but here it is in February: I LOVE ZION.



No comments:
Post a Comment