I told Joe not to worry about coming, because it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I was going to get a pap smear, they were going to ask me a bunch of questions, then listen for the heartbeat. So, thanks to me, he went on his little two-day climbing trip to Maple canyon. I have never regretted anything so much in my life.
I got to the Dr's office and they checked everything out to make sure I was 'fit' to have a baby. Everything was as I expected it to be until they said, "okay, are you ready for your ultrasound?". They don't do ultrasounds this early, I thought, they must have meant, "Are you ready to hear the heartbeat?"
So, down the hall they take me. I laid in a chair, they turned off the lights, they put warm gel on my belly, and there it was. The most amazing thing I have ever seen. It was a baby, in my belly, kicking and bouncing around. It didn't have much for limbs yet, but they were definitely visible. It was like our little baby was excited for me to see it for the first time, almost showing off. They pointed out the little heart, beating away a million beats per minute, and the eyes, feet, hands, etc. I could have stared at it all day. It was literally the happiest moment in my life, and all I could think about was how I told Joe it wasn't going to be a big deal. But it was. A huge deal. And he wasn't there to see it.
I left the Dr's office and was on cloud nine. I'm pretty sure I was bouncing up and down in my seat while driving on my way back to work. The rest of the day I couldn't take my mind off of it, and nothing could have wiped the smile from my face. I sent Joe a text message later telling him that I was so sorry, and that it was a big deal, and he would have died at how cool it was. I got a few pictures of the ultrasound to show him, but they don't do a justice. You just don't understand how real it is until you see the little bean bouncing around yourself.

No comments:
Post a Comment