8.10.2011

The Move to SLC

We officially made it out of the in-laws and into our own little (and I literally mean little) place. It is a one bedroom apartment, but it has a great hallway that, for us, makes it a two bedroom. It is all hardwood floors and tile, so there is a bit of an echo when Cohen cries. For the first few days, Cohen had a hard time with naps and falling asleep not knowing where he was. He also loved that his cry sounded different here. I would hear him in the other room yelling/whining/crying, and when I would go in to see what was wrong, he would just be playing with his toys, no expression on his face, just crying to hear himself. He is slowly getting used to it, which I am grateful. I don't know how much longer I could have handled his fussiness. I guess you don't know how glad you are that you have a good baby until they are clingy and fussy for a few days.

We have loved being in the city, and only live a few minutes from downtown. Joe rides his bike to work, which gives me the car during the day (hallelujah). There is always something to do at night, and now that we are not in school, we have time to do things together at night besides homework! It has been a little weird to get used to. We walk around the Avenues choosing our favorite homes on each street, walk around Temple Square, shop at the Gateway, get treats from fun little places around the city, and I make dinner. I know that last part sounds weird, but oddly enough making dinner is one thing I have actually missed. In Cedar I never had time to make actual dinners (fried chicken, spaghetti, and tacos were the three 5-minute meals I would rotate throughout the week), and at the Rawlings, Helen was there making her amazing meals most nights. Now, I have my own little family to cook for and I can't wait to start finding new recipes to try.

The only bad thing about living here is being so close to so many amazing stores, i.e. Anthropologie. We get a discount through Joe, so I feel like I need everything. A new butter dish, a new serving platter, a set of cups, ten new skirts, duvet for the bed, dish towels, an apron, area rug, throw pillows, a few purses, shoes, books, lamps for each room, and the list gets longer every time I go in there. We may get a discount, but a lamp that is "only" $190 is still a lamp that is $190. So, I just add things to my list of things to buy when we win the lottery. But I did buy the butter dish. And the set of cups.

No comments:

Blog Archive