I used to be able to sleep through anything. I still die from this scene in What About Bob because it was kind of like me pre-kids. But motherhood has taken the good-sleeper right out of me. Every sound I hear wakes me up into a full panic. Was that Cohen? He better not wake up Elliot!... Was that Elliot? She better not wake up Cohen!... Was that someone climbing in our kitchen window? You've come to the wrong house, buddy! (Cue story about Joe sneaking around the house with a croquet mallet).
So one of our #1 rules around here is sleeping in your own bed. There have been many times when Cohen has tried to sneak in. He gives a sad sigh and slumps his shoulders while I walk him back to his bed and tuck him in. Joe and I have a hard enough time as it is sleeping well through the night, so we're not about to add a two-year-old in our bed to the mix.
This morning at about 2:30, I got a pillow thrown on my face, followed by Cohen's voice whispering, "You need to scoot over, mom". While he fumbled and grunted trying to climb into our bed, I laughed out loud, scooted over and made room for his little pillow beside me. Listening to that little nose breathe heavily in and out, his heart beat against my arm, his little hand holding mine... I almost was converted to co-sleeping. Until 3:00 rolled around and I didn't dare to move a muscle in fear of waking him up for good, so I laid there with a dead arm and sweaty face for as long as I possibly could. But for that thirty minutes I was so happy and grateful listening to that sleeping boy. Then I put him back in his bed and I slept like a baby.

1 comment:
So cute! Lucy has recently moved into our room & there are some nights that she wakes up & with her favorite blankie in arms, will stand by my side of the bed and say, "mom, I wanna snuggle you." How can you say no to that? It doesn't last long & then she's back in her own bed, but for that short little time, it's so sweet. Love it.
Post a Comment