9.23.2010

When Will He Ever Learn?

There's this thing that I hate: when things are bought that we didn't account for in our budget. We've agreed to do it a couple of times. For example, baby clothes. When we found out we were having a boy, we just took a little out of the grocery fund, and we had money to buy a few little baby things. Then there's the thing that I really hate: when Joe thinks he is being sneaky and I won't find out that he has bought something. He "forgets" to pack a lunch, so he buys gross school cafeteria food instead, which he secretly loves. We'll talk about how much I get irritated when all the sudden there are four charges to SUU for pizza sticks for the week's lunches, so he won't do it for about a month, and I think the problem is solved. Then, like this week, he gets something every day and thinks I have forgotten that I keep a budget. Really, I think he just wants to test each month to see if I'll notice it, or if there is magically money in the budget set aside for gross cafeteria pizza sticks. This time I decided instead of having the same conversation with him about buying food instead of packing a lunch, I e-mailed him a little note:
We started a climbing crash pad fund for him because he has his heart set on one he really wants, I mean, needs. Maybe if the money is being taken out of there every week instead of other places he will think twice about packing a lunch in the mornings. Let's hope.

No comments:

Blog Archive